Saturday, March 1, 2014

Sharing and Learning at EdCamp Columbus

Today I attended an EdCamp in Columbus, Ohio.  If you don't know what an EdCamp is, it is an "unconference".  It is a participant-driven, FREE meeting.  Participants drive the topics and are encouraged to share their knowledge.

At first, I was hesitant about attending because I'm a School Counselor. I thought it really wouldn't be beneficial for me.  I was wrong.  I'm so glad I was encouraged by my husband to attend and interact with all the great attendees.

There were several school counselor's in attendance.  One counselor lead a session on how to deal with personal/social issues in the classroom.  This was a great opportunity for us to remind teachers that school counselors can help them deal with these types of issues with their students.  Hopefully, we reminded teachers that we are there to help and they will go back to their school and connect the students with their counselors.

Not only was I able to promote my profession during this EdCamp but I was able to meet, interact and listen to some amazing, passionate and caring educators.  The students who benefit from these people are very lucky.  Everyone came out and spent their entire Saturday sharing and learning from others to improve education and learning for students.

On my way home I thought how it might be fun to have an EdCamp for school counselors.  Then  I thought how important it is that we have this interaction with teachers, administrators, technology coordinators, etc like I did today.  So instead of having an EdCamp for school counselors, my hope is that more school counselors attend EdCamps to share and learn.

To learn more about EdCamps or to find one near you go to: edcamp.org

No comments:

Post a Comment